Monday, June 23, 2008

July 4 2006

It was July 4th and it was a beautiful day. It was a day for celebrating the Declaration of Independence. A day for lots of food, fun and fireworks. Relaxing on a boat, floating on the water and having a few beers. I called my son a few times throughout the day to see what he was up to. I missed not having him with me anymore. He was at the age where all he wanted was to be with his friends and would just mope at family get-togethers... you know how it goes.

We were about 45 minutes from home. I could not reach him but knew he was most likely having fun somewhere with his friends. My son Robby was 17. The last thing he wanted to do is hang out with me...

As the day came to a close, I attempted to reach him again. I always had a nagging feeling when I could not get him on the phone for hours and hours. Why wasn't he calling me back?

"You worry too much" people would tell me.

It was late.. sometime between 10:00 and 11:00pm
Still no answer....

I worked up the numbers in my head (I would try his friends cell phone)....what was left from my earlier buzz was making me foggy... butI finally heard another voice on the other end..

"Hi Dave? Is Robby with you?"

Before I even finished my question I heard the frenzied words spewing out Dave's mouth. A lump formed in my throat and my heart started to pound as if it was on 'alarm set' and had been waiting to go off at that very moment.

"trying to reach you all night, .........Robby ........OD'd......... ambulance ..... CPR ..... not breathing......."

My head suddenly felt like it was being squeezed from both sides.....I was going down........falling to my knees in the grass, my body shaking from the inside and vomit caught in my chest. My legs could barely hold me up but somehow I was running to the car......

No comments: